BEST MSDOS C EDITOR?

Fred Smith fredex at cg-atla.UUCP
Tue Sep 5 23:16:09 AEST 1989

In article <1191 at starfish.Convergent.COM> jerry at starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) writes:
>cliffhanger at cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) writes:
>>I'm about to start some C programming
>>on MSDOS and was wondering what
>>the best editor was to use.
>>Cliff
>
>The ideal editor would have excellent multiple window features, great
>mouse support, and understand c and other styles.  It might warn you of
>imbalanced quotes, parenthesis, braces, etc., if it was REALLY good.  If
>it was OUTSTANDING it would even offer warnings about possible subtle
>errors like braces, semicolons, etc., inside comments.  Also any
>warnings, features, tabsize, substitution of spaces for tabs, etc., would
>be user selectable in a setup file (like qedit's).

Well, for what its worth, I use PC/VI, sold by the now-defunct
custom Software Systems , formerly of Natick MA (There is also a PC
version of vi from MKS which is said to be (virtually)complete), and I
find that it even has the same bugs which appear in VI on the
system V machine I used to work on. When I am not using PC/VI, I am
using MicroEmacs because it allows multiple windows, works with a mouse,
and also has many of the features requested in the previous posting.

The trouble with MicroEmacs (nay, ALL emacs's) is that my fingers are
well-trained for the vi command keys, and when using some other editor
I find that my files tend to have oddcollections of h, j, k, or l's
interspersed in them!

Fred