Fruits of X3J11 (was Re: quotes inside #if 0)

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Sun Sep 10 14:35:29 AEST 1989

Rather than rely on bureaucratic interpretation of a lengthy spec, why
not publish a portable Standard C compiler, written in K&R-1 C, which
exhibits the characteristics of a conforming compiler and is suitably
commented with references to the spec?  The code generated could be
pseudocode or a suite of hardware specific generators could be assembled
as people have time to write them.  Hotshot efficiency would not be
the goal -- leave that to the commercial vendors.

It seems to me that questions of "what do you do if X follows Y under
condition Z" would be a lot easier to deal with if the answer were
"whatever Standard C does" rather than "well what we MEANT to say in
paragraph 1.37.6 was..."

I suppose a meeting of the minds with Stallman on this is beyond hope...
--
Annex Canada now!  We need the room,	\)	Tom Neff
    and who's going to stop us.		(\	tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET