Fruits of X3J11

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 10 20:52:38 AEST 1989

In article <14646 at bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>Rather than rely on bureaucratic interpretation of a lengthy spec, why
>not publish a portable Standard C compiler, written in K&R-1 C, which
>exhibits the characteristics of a conforming compiler and is suitably
>commented with references to the spec?

That's not viable -- at best you'd merely have one instance of a
conforming implementation.  There is enough flexibility allowed
in implementing the spec that no single instance could serve as a
yardstick against which others are measured.

Besides, we tried that before (with PCC) and it just didn't work.