Fruits of X3J11 (was Re: quotes inside #if 0)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Mon Sep 11 00:41:02 AEST 1989

In article <14646 at bfmny0.UU.NET>, tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
> why not publish a portable Standard C compiler, written in K&R-1 C...
> ...efficiency would not be the goal -- leave that to the commercial vendors.

> It seems to me that questions ... [could be answerwed by]
> "whatever Standard C does"

Problem with this is that hotshot efficiency may require changing the semantics
from what the Standard C Compiler does, while remaining within X3J11. Using a
C compiler as the C standard was a bad idea when that compiler was K&R, and
is a bad idea today.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'