BEST MSDOS C EDITOR?

david richard cook drcook at hubcap.clemson.edu
Wed Sep 6 00:51:09 AEST 1989

>From article <21743 at cup.portal.com>, by cliffhanger at cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer):
> I'm about to start some C programming
> on MSDOS and was wondering what
> the best editor was to use.
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!
>
> Cliff

	I have been using Epsilon from Lugaru Software for over 3
years and highly reccommend it.  Some of the features I find
especially attractive are:

	1.  The ability to run your compiler concurrently inside the
	    editor thus allowing you to edit and compile at the same
            time.  Epsilon can parse the compiler's error messages and
	    pull the offending file into the editor and position the
	    cursor on the line of the error.  To my knowledge, this is
	    the only editor available for MS-DOS that allows for an
	    inferior shell.
	2.  Epsilon is completely extensible.  All of Epsilon's
	    functions are written in EEL (Epsilon Extension Language)
	    which is esentially C with a few ommissions and
	    extensions.  All of the EEL source code and the EEL
	    compiler comes with the Epsilon package.
	3.  Supports a unlimited number of files and unlimited file
	    size.
	4.  Epsilon is the most faithful Emacs clone for the PC that I
	    am aware of.  It supports the major modes: C-mode,
	    fundamental, dired, and others.  If you are an Emacs
	    user you will feel right a home with Epsilon.

The main disadvantages to Epsilon are:

	1.  If you are new to Emacs, you will have to do a lot of
	    learning in order to realize the full power of this
	    editor.
	2.  Epsilon retails for $195.00, and is available for about
	    $160.00 from mailorder companies.

David R. Cook