Lattice surpasses Microsoft ??????????

Walter Bright bright at Data-IO.COM
Sat Sep 30 05:17:45 AEST 1989

In article <1820005 at hpsad.HP.COM> jsv at hpsad.HP.COM (Jeff Vetter) writes:
<  I recently viewed an ad for Lattice C v6.0.
<  They report that Lattice C v6.0 has better perfomance, better
<compatibility, and almost twice the library support of either Microsoft
<or Borland.

They're also rehashing the myth that quantity of library functions is
a measure of quality. I don't know about the quality of their functions.
But I strongly disagree with logic like:
	1. Compiler A has 500 library functions.
	2. Compiler B has 750 library functions.
	Therefore, Compiler B is better than Compiler A.
Any idiot can write 100's of library functions. The trick is to write
a *small* number of quality functions that captures the essence of what is
needed.

This also reminds me of some compiler reviews where they rated how good
the documentation was by the number of pages in the manual!