entry at other than main (was: want to know)

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UUCP
Sat Sep 2 14:42:11 AEST 1989

Here's the thing about C standardizing on main() as an entry point.
While the occasional need to circumvent this is legitimate, the
situations where this need arises are NOT portable.  And most of the
sophisticated C implementations or hosting environments I've encountered
do provide you with a (non-portable) way of tweaking your entry point if
you understand the tools well enough.  (Either you can edit and
re-assemble the front end startup code that calls main(), for example,
or the linker has options to rename symbols or designate alternate
entry points... or something else.)

So people with a real need for this can generally get it done.  Meanwhile
it's quite useful to have a well defined standard entry point for the
remaining huge majority of normal cases.
--
Annex Canada now!  We need the room,	\)	Tom Neff
    and who's going to stop us.		(\	tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET