Inlining -- what happened to the inline keyword

Walter Bright bright at Data-IO.COM
Tue Sep 12 03:54:55 AEST 1989

In article <4783 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lupton at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Robert Lupton) writes:
<I thought that the keyword `inline' was being proposed for ANSI C, to declare
<that a function should be expanded inline. I've been wondering ever since
<why it was killed. Ditto with comments to end of line // this is a comment
<Both have prior art (in C++), so that can't have been the reason. Can
<anyone (I hope not many more than one) enlighten me?

I don't know the specifics, but I do know that once you start tossing in
C++ features, at what point do you stop? Why not toss them all in, and
simply redefine C as C++?

C is a mature language, and standardizing it at this time is appropriate.
C++ is still rapidly evolving (though I hope that C++ 2.0 will be a stable
and mature version for some time).

C is now mature, standard, and therefore obsolete. C++ is where the future
of C is, and it's where the action is. I don't say this because I sell
a C++ compiler, I sell a C++ compiler because I believe this to be true!