Inlining -- what happened to the inline keyword

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Sep 9 11:10:02 AEST 1989

In article <4783 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lupton at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Robert Lupton) writes:
>... I've been wondering ever since why it was killed. Ditto with
>comments to end of line // this is a comment

Literally thousands of suggestions for such "improvements" were received
by X3J11.  Unless such a proposal could be shown to address a clear
deficiency in the base document, it stood little chance of being adopted,
because the charter of X3J11 was not to invent a new language based
loosely on C, but to standardize the existing language.

Many occurrences of functions can be "in-lined" by a sufficiently clever
compiler as a permitted optimization.