Inlining -- what happened to the inline keyword

Robert Lupton lupton at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 9 06:08:42 AEST 1989

In the distant past (1984?) I thought, from reading this newsgroup,
that the keyword `inline' was being proposed for ANSI C, to declare
that a function should be expanded inline. When I got back on the net
in 1987 or so it had dissapeared, and I've been wondering ever since
why it was killed. Ditto with comments to end of line // this is a comment

Both have prior art (in C++), so that can't have been the reason. Can
anyone (I hope not many more than one) enlighten me?

		Robert