Re^2: Oh noooooo!!

News system news at ism780c.isc.com
Thu Sep 14 10:56:54 AEST 1989

In article <556 at tigger.planet.bt.co.uk> raph at tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Raphael Mankin) writes:

>Before most readers of this new group were born, Dijkstra wrote an
>article called Uncontrolled use of Goto Considered Harmful. It was
>		^^^^^^
>not called 'Goto considered Harmful'.

Sorry, but that is not true.  The article appears on page 147 of the
March 1968 issue of the CACM.  The EXACT title is (I have the issue before
me as I write):

       "Go To Statement Considered Harmful"

Note that it is the GO TO STATEMENT that is considered harmful.  The thrust
of the article was (again I quote):

     "More recently I discovered why the use of the GO TO statement statement
     has such disastrous effects, and I have become convinced that the GO TO
     statement should be abolished from all "higher level" programming
     languages (i.e. everything except perhaps plain machine code)."

   Marv Rubinstein