Re^2: Oh noooooo!!

Raphael Mankin raph at tigger.planet.bt.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 22:55:18 AEST 1989

Before most readers of this new group were born, Dijkstra wrote an
article called Uncontrolled use of Goto Considered Harmful. It was
		^^^^^^
not called 'Goto considered Harmful'.

It is possible to program without goto provided taht you have a
do-forever and an if available, but it remains true that the goto is
sometimes the best way of doing things.
              ^^^^

Personally, I restrict gotos to forward trasnfers - this minimises the
risk of infinite loops; and to the multi-level break/continue or error
escape cases. After some 20 yewars of programming I have not found
this to cause any problems and the code remains readable.

The issue of use/non-use of goto is not one of theology. What matters
is
	does it work
	is it safe
	is it readable.