Weird problem with C compiler under SCO - I can't believe it!

Richard H. Gumpertz rhg at cpsolv.UUCP
Mon Sep 25 13:21:48 AEST 1989

Speaking of switches to disable non-standard extensions: I encountered a funny
problem using DEC's VAX/VMS compiler: when I tried to compile with extensions
disabled it complained about the extensions that were used in implementing the
standard .h files!

Interesting dilemma: the (hidden from the programmer) implementation of certain
ANSI-standard macros must include DEC-specific extensions.  Hence, programs
that use the standard headers and functions cannot be compiled with the
standard-only switch!

I suppose a pragma that would temporarily allow extensions could be included
in appropriate parts of the header files.  Moby sigh.

		Richard H. Gumpertz