Perfect HASH functions.....

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.ruu.nl
Wed Sep 27 21:20:29 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep24.214153.8867 at rpi.edu>, flynn at clotho (Kevin Lincoln Flynn) writes:
 `As long as people are talking hashing, can anyone think of a GOOD way to hash
 `16-bit numbers determined dynamically at runtime into a fast way to look them
 `up?  Specifically, I'm talking about the attribute dictionary of an object in
 `an OO system we're working on here -- the tags of attributes are 16-bit handles
 `about which nothing is known at runtime.

Maybe you should look in the OOPSLA proceedings, to see what kind of
implementations people have tried. (Sorry, I don't have mine handy -- seems
somebody borrowed them, so I can't give you any refs). Also you could wait
a few days and repost your question on comp.object.
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht,  The Netherlands.
Telephone: +31-30-531806      Internet: piet at cs.ruu.nl
Telefax:   +31-30-513791      Uucp: uunet!mcvax!hp4nl!ruuinf!piet