what is c++, c, ansi c etc...

Darren New new at udel.EDU
Fri Apr 13 09:10:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr12.214718.18545 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> davies at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>All in all, I tend to agree with Mr.  Bernstein - the same old
>stuff using some new words.

I would like to ask you whether you have done any significant implementation
and/or design in an OO language?  Like Smalltalk or CLOS?  (C++ doesn't
really count much because you can just ignore the OO stuff.)
I have done large apps in both Smalltalk and C and there is definitely
different styles of thinking during the problem solving.  Which is better
seems to me to depend on what is being designed and implemented.
Obviously-linear code is easy to do in C and harder in Smalltalk.
Code that "flies around" alot in such a way that it is not clear
exactly what will happen next (window systems, say, or simulations)
are MUCH easier in Smalltalk.  The difference is not in the low end;
it's in the initial design and top-level implementation.  Copying
strings is the same in both.        -- Darren