what is c++, c, ansi c etc...

COOOOoooooOOOoooOOOKIE!!!! ccastjr at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Apr 13 08:17:07 AEST 1990

    Yes, it is possible to write bad code in any language (esp since
C++ will accept C code), and no, it can't FORCE you to think in any
particular style... (a better word would be encourage, but that still
has nothing to do with what I"m about to say).

The first OOPS was Simula...  Smalltalk evolved from something that
evolved from Simula.. and thats that..  Simula, as you can sort of tell
from the name, was a language written for creating simulations.

     It also happens that the data hiding features of the language are
encouragable things to a "well structured program".  The DoD liked the
way it handles object, and had it encorporated into Ada (since Ada is
designed to work with actual systems, having somthing that deals with
actual objects real well is good).

     My reason for liking the language is that I *LOVE* C, and happen
to be very interested in simulation work..and C++ gives me a lot of tools
and system features to do things.
     An interesting note is that the first C++ compilers didn't output
native code (executable), they output C code... so anything you do in
C++ *can* be done in C...just not so cleanly (it basically checks your
code and does some syntactic modification..

string1 + string2

becomes

string.add(string1,string2)

where string.add is a pointer to a function that adds strings by whatever
your definition of "string addition" is (it also returns whatever you
tell it to).

though, g++ does output executable.

John