UNIX C-compiler

Bob Stout Bob.Stout at p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org
Fri Apr 13 13:06:58 AEST 1990

In an article of <11 Apr 90 08:24:21 GMT>, mike at minster.york.ac.uk writes:

 >I agree with Peter da Silva: if it hasn't got "make", give it a miss (OK,
 >so TurboC has, but not to the UNIX standard :-)

This is what I generally object to in the discussions to exile PC C
programmers to some other newsgroup. There seems to be a double standard at
work here. Just as PC's are not the only machines with C compilers, neither
are the various Unix boxes. Although I can anticipate the usual indignant hue
and cry whenever someone asks about int86(), I can just as easily anticipate
silence when questions arise about stime(), setuid(), setgid(), pipe(),
mount(), getpid(), etc... Just to be difficult, I've often thought about
posting questions about open() or ioctl() or some such function, then sitting
back to enjoy the back-pedalling when I answer all the helpful folks replying
that I was interested in the Turbo C version, not the Unix functions of the
same name. <wicked grin>

I don't necessarily object to condescending OS bigots, but I would appreciate
a little more truth in advertising, or at least some indication that the
bigots are conscious of their hauteur.

Bob (an unrepentant PC programmer who also works on Unix) Stout