A C compiler that *works* ?

Charles Hannum CMH117 at psuvm.psu.edu
Mon Apr 9 06:24:20 AEST 1990

In article <3119 at castle.ed.ac.uk>, djm at castle.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) says:

>After having a long fight with TC 2.0 about allocating a block of memory
>128K long, and just about chucking the damned thing out of the window,
>I am wondering if there is a PC C compiler anywhere that actually does work
>and will let me do this ?
>
>The code has to work on an 8086, so no '386 specific stuff will be suitable,
>unfortunately. If I can't get it to work I'll use assembler but I'd really
>rather not do this.

If it must run on an 8086, just use the Huge memory model.  The other five
memory models will not support >64K blocks of data because the 8086 itself
will not.  The Huge memory model generates extra code to get around this,
but only at the price of speed.

Virtually,
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
  cmh117 at psuvm.{bitnet,psu.edu}  "No noozzzz izzz netzzzsnoozzzzz..."
  c9h at psuecl.{bitnet,psu.edu}    "Mem'ry, all alone in the moonlight ..."