video mode question

ONG ENG TENG ong at d.cs.okstate.edu
Sat Dec 1 16:58:31 AEST 1990

>From article <66205 at unix.cis.pitt.edu>, by brs at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Brian Stupar):
> does anyone know how to set the video mode to 80 x 43?  i have
> tried using int 10 func 00, but any values over 11 result in
> no change in the screen mode.  the interrupt list documents
> mode values up to around 70, but any over 11 have no effect.
> is there something i'm missing, something i've done wrong, or
> is this mode not available for use?  the machine is 386 based
> with VGA graphics.

Well, I did a little bit of DEBUGing on programs that detect the existance
of VGA and goes into 80x50 mode, and found the following code:

          mov  ax,1112h       ; go into 80x50 mode
          sub  bl,bl
          int  10h

This will switch the VGA card into 80x50 mode.  I suggest you play around
with the content of AX to get 80x43 mode.

E. Teng Ong (ong at d.cs.okstate.edu)
Computer Science Dept.
Oklahoma State University
(Opinions are mine and mine alone)