prototyping (oh no! not again??)

Karl Heuer karl at ima.isc.com
Sat Dec 1 16:38:40 AEST 1990

In article <4402 at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>Why not check a manual and find out before complaining that C hasn't got
>an equivalent of **?  In ANSI C, if you have done
>	#include <math.h>
>there is no significant non-syntactic difference between pow() and
><REAL or DOUBLE> ** <INTEGER or REAL or DOUBLE>.

But there *is* a significant difference between pow() and Fortran's
<INTEGER> ** <INTEGER>.  (Namely, the latter gets the right answer.)
Therefore, I have to agree with John that C hasn't got an equivalent of **.

(One can, of course, argue that it's not a serious flaw since the missing
functionality can be easily provided by the user if not by the vendor.)

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.isc.com or uunet!ima!karl), The Walking Lint