Educating FORTRAN programmers to use C

Michael T. Sullivan sullivan at aqdata.uucp
Sat Jan 6 11:31:58 AEST 1990

>From article <1016 at sdrc.UUCP>, by gcglan at sdrc.UUCP (frank glandorf):
>
> Has anyone had any interesting experiences educating FORTRAN
> programmers to use C? I recently had a chance to observe a system
> which was built by persons who had taught themselves C and whose
> previous programming experience was in FORTRAN only. An unusual

Then there's that function I encountered whilst working for an
unnamed defense contractor.  It seems the person had no prior
experience with C.  Came back with a single function that had
263 (two hundred sixty three) GOTO's in it.  I don't even know
how many lines the function itself was but these gotos were coming
about every other line.  Good thing the function worked--I didn't
have to touch the code.

Funny thing was, they told me the program was object oriented when
I came to this new group.  I didn't know OOP meant so many goto's...:-)
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.