Bug in DEC's C compiler(s)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Jan 4 03:38:21 AEST 1990

In article <1528 at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> battle at alphard.cs.utk.edu (David Battle) writes:
>I seem to have discovered a bug in DEC's Ultrix C compilers.  The bug
>exhibits itself on both vax and mips architectures.  The problem is that
>it seems to ignore objects declared as "void *"...
>Am I missing something here, or is this a real bug?

Yes. :-)  What you've missed is that K&R2 describes ANSI C, and many C
compilers have not yet been updated to fully conform to the (draft)
standard.  However, this is arguably a bug -- they've had plenty of
warning about what they ought to be implementing.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu