Bug in DEC's C compiler(s)

Randall Atkinson randall at uvaarpa.virginia.edu
Sun Jan 7 11:48:25 AEST 1990

In article <1528 at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> battle at alphard.cs.utk.edu (David Battle) writes:
>I seem to have discovered a bug in DEC's Ultrix C compilers.  The bug
>exhibits itself on both vax and mips architectures.  The problem is that
>it seems to ignore objects declared as "void *"...
>Am I missing something here, or is this a real bug?

Henry was correct that DEC doesn't yet claim to have an ANSI C compiler.

Indications are that the only C Compiler from DEC getting significant
maintenance is the "Vax C" compiler which the periodically ported from
VMS back to Ultrix.  DEC indicates that they plan to make it both
X3J11 and POSIX.1 compatible eventually.

If that is the only problem that people are having with "cc" on Ultrix 3,
they can't be using it very much.  For reasons beyond my understanding,
DEC broke the "cc" compiler from BSD and it won't compile many of the
sources from UC Berkeley.  I find this very odd in a system which is
mostly 4.2 BSD.  Needless to say, I wish my workplace hadn't "upgraded"
[ sic ] from 4 BSD to Ultrix last summer.  We did it to get better support
and haven't had much support so far.

Needless to say, I don't speak for the corporation which is
The University of Virginia.  This machine runs 4.3.tahoe and
has none of the problems that the Ultrix VAX at work does.

I've digressed a bit, so I've pointed followups to alt.religion.computers.