fortran to C translator

Ralph Carpenter ralphc at tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM
Tue Jan 23 05:40:20 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan21.183457.15676 at druid.uucp>, darcy at druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
> In article <10364 at saturn.ucsc.edu> daniel at saturn.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) writes:
> >Does anybody know of a Fortran to C translator that has
> >successfully been used to translate a significant body
> >of code?
> >
> >If anyone does not of such a beast, I'd greatly appreciate
> >an email response since I don't regularly read this newsgroup.
> >
> I have been waiting patiently for someone to post the answer to this
> question rather than waste bandwidth asking the same question that seems
> to get asked every week.  I REGULARLY READ THIS NEWSGROUP and don't just
> jump in when I need something.  Will someone please *post* the answer
> to this question.
>
> We now return you back to your regularly scheduled flames.
>

> --
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
> D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.
> West Hill, Ontario, Canada         |
> No disclaimers.  I agree with me   |

What follows is a copy of email I sent to Daniel Edelson:

I have an acquaintance of many years that translated a very
large finite element program and element library from fortran to C,
approximately 100,000 fortan source lines, successfully.  He used
FOR_C, running on DOS systems. The translated code runs on all sorts
of systems, microVaxes included.

The address and phone I have for the publisher of FOR_C is:
	Cobalt Blue
	2940 Union Ave
	Suite C
	San Jose, Ca. 95124
	Tel. (408) 723-0474
	Fax. (408) 377-7648

The address and phone of a distributor (less expensive, mail order source)
	The Programmer's Connection
	7249 Whipple Ave NW
	North Canton, OH 44720-7137
	Tel. (800) 336-1166
	Fax. (216) 494-5260

The price from the Programmer's Connection, including surface UPS shipping is
$442 with binary runtime, ($575 list).
$673 with runtime sources, ($875 list).

The above info. is from the Winter 1990 catalog, which I just recieved, so
should be current.

The Cobalt Blue people will send you a demo disk for about $10.  The demo
is a crippled version that will convert a subroutine from fortran to c as
long as the input is 1k char or less.

If you have any good or bad experiences to share along the way, please keep me
informed.  I have a year old demo that generated pretty good code.

One additional note.  I recently purchased a very nice package of fortran
clean up utilities from: Quibus Enterprises, 106 N. Draper Ave.,
Champaign, IL 61821, Phone (217) 356-8876, for about $139.  They work very
well, and are very quick.  So far as I can tell, they are bug free.

Ralph Carpenter
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, OR.