TC++ Utils and mouse problems

Steve Resnick stever at Octopus.COM
Sat Jul 14 09:38:02 AEST 1990

In article <3777 at bwdls58.UUCP> mlord at bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>In article <4029 at isis.UUCP> aburt at isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:
>>
>>(I did call them with another problem and I am (still) very disappointed
>>in Borland's tech support.  On this particular program, using overlays,
>>it routinely gets an exception 13 (which is nowhere documented in any
>>of the Borland manuals, BTW).  This happens in the startup code, i.e.,
>
>Do you, perchance, also run QEMM on the same system?
>
>Exception #13 is the infamous result of programs that don't get along
>with QEMM.. usually something to do with segment wrap around.  The only
>one I know of so far is FASTBACK 2.00, but my tc++ has yet to arrive.
>
>There is a doc file on simtel (in the msdos.desqview area) which is from
>Quarterdeck, explaining Exception #13 in more detail.  This info is also
>in the QEMM 5.0 manual, but not in that for prior releases.

Although Qemm issues that message, A LOT of 386 (and presumably 286)
protected mode programs (Like Td386 for instance) will report processor
exceptions, and if you look in the Intel 80386 programmers reference manual
you will find that exception #13 is a general protection violation - note that
there are things in real mode that will cause this as well, such as accesing
a word at seg:FFFF the offset address of the hihg order byte of the word being
access lies in teh next segment which is illegal in real mode.

 Cheers!
 Steve