!?!? FOO???

Loyde W. Hales II lwh at harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu
Sat Jul 7 02:50:43 AEST 1990

In article <369 at demott.COM> kdq at demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>    I dunnow.  It seems to me that given the FOO name for the errors,
>the BAR part would come right along (from the military).  It makes a lot
>more sense than converting FU to FOO.

I disagree, for several reasons.

First, it is common to distort spellings, particularly when you are taking
spoken word.  Look at how many words in (American) English are mispelled
words (in British English).  Much less the number of words with multiple
spellings considered correct.

If you want to test this, though, go to an introductory course for Computer
Science and throw out terminology without writing it on the board.  Then give
a quiz.  I'll bet you'll get several mispellings and homonymns.

			       -
Personally, if someone said  *fu* to me, I'd think to spell it Foo, unless I
knew it had Oriental origins.

Besides, FOOBAR is a polite version of FUBAR anyway.

-=-

Loyde W. Hales, II                      The Ohio State University
lwh at cis.ohio-state.edu          2036 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, Ohio  43210