!?!? FOO???

Kevin D. Quitt kdq at demott.COM
Fri Jul 6 01:49:53 AEST 1990

In article <hart.647056068 at blackjack> hart at blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) writes:
>In <13530001 at hp-and.HP.COM> panek at hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) writes:
>

>>	F003		Divide by zero
>>	F001		Printer not ready
>
>>and the like.  When the machine ran into one of these, it would load the
>>This explanation would go a long ways to explaining why "FOO" has
>>appeared in the hacker community, as well as some support for its
>>age.
>
>>Any agreement on this?
>
>I would have to agree with the military origin; especially as
>FOO is usually seen in close proximity to it's brother variable,
>BAR.

    I dunnow.  It seems to me that given the FOO name for the errors,
the BAR part would come right along (from the military).  It makes a lot
more sense than converting FU to FOO.

    If someone can confirm the F00x errors, then I'd call it the
definitive answer to FOO's origin.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq at demott.com
DeMott Electronics Co. 14707 Keswick St.   Van Nuys, CA 91405-1266
VOICE (818) 988-4975   FAX (818) 997-1190  MODEM (818) 997-4496 PEP last

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.