VMS Specific question about binary reads using fgetc

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Fri Jun 29 03:07:18 AEST 1990

In article <686 at illini.osc.edu> djh at osc.edu (David Heisterberg) writes:
>> The existing syntax, "#include <stdio.h>" was already perfectly well
>> suited for those semantics.
>
>Then use it.  It works just fine.  I don't understand what you're complaining
>about.  VMS often has include-like files in text libraries, and the VAX C
>extension to #include takes advantage of that.  If you don't want to use it,
>then don't.  Who's putting a gun to your head?

Does the word "portability" mean anything to you?  How about "many wasted
man-months trying to port software written by clever people who think it's
cute to use VMS-specific language features"?  We don't want *you* to use
it either, because someday we may have to port or maintain your code.
--
"Either NFS must be scrapped or NFS    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
must be changed."      -John Osterhout |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry