MS C 6.0 LINK: how to suppress the Definitions File prompt?

Richard GILLMANN richgi at microsoft.UUCP
Wed Jun 6 03:40:34 AEST 1990

In article <4400 at infmx.UUCP> aland at infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>With the new version of the MS linker, a prompt for a Definitions File
>has been added.  As a result, linker response files created to work
>with the LINK that came with 5.1 don't work automatically -- the user
>is prompted to specify a definition file (or hit return for the default
>of no "deffile").  I would like to avoid the prompt altogether.  After
>RTFMing carefully, I still can't see any way to suppress this via a
>parameter (e.g. the LINK env variable).  Is there an undocumented
>means of avoiding this prompt without changing the response files?

There is a way to suppress the deffile prompt, by using a ; to terminate
linker input.  For example, if your old linker response file is foo.lrf,
try this with LINK 5.10:

link @foo.lrf ;

The linker goes to the response file for its input and when that runs out,
it goes back to the command line, where the ; tells it to default the rest
of the prompts.