How can I de-escape my strings at run time?

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Mon Jun 4 05:41:00 AEST 1990

In article <:9W3JZ3 at ggpc2.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter
da Silva) writes:

| I'm mildly surprised X3.159 doesn't include \e for escape, since they
| added \xNN \a and so on... was it considered?

It came up a few times.  The problem is that ANSI C is not mandated to
require ASCII (or even ISO646).  EBCDIC is the classic counterpoint.
Some of the people in the committee also observed that is was kind of
silly to specify something, which is always used in a non-portable
fashion (ie, terminal/printer control strings), when there was always
\nnn around to do exactly the same thing, in the same non-portable
manner.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so