How can I de-escape my strings at run time?

math1i7 at jetson.uh.edu math1i7 at jetson.uh.edu
Tue Jun 12 12:49:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun11.092136.7800 at gdr.bath.ac.uk>, exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
> In article <3190 at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>>In article <1600 at hulda.erbe.se>, prc at erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>>> Glad you asked. Yes, trigraphs are used for work, especially when not in
>>> an ASCII environment. EBCDIC, for example, doesn't have brackets and braces,

I have occasion to use C/370 on the IBM mainframes at work.  The compiler on
that machine expects to find certain EBCDIC codes for left and right brackets.
These codes do not, unfortunately, display correctly on the terminals.  So
someone in the support group wrote a pair of XEDIT macros that automatically
convert the codes for left and right brackets into different codes that
(usually) display correctly on the terminal, then reconvert them back when
you file and exit.  The problem with that is that different terminals (or
should it be different controllers) use different EBCDIC codes to display
the brackets ....  oh well (trigraphs do work)

Gordon Tillman