why "(void)printf(fmt);" besides lint(1)?

Mark Harrison harrison at necssd.NEC.COM
Sat Jun 2 03:07:55 AEST 1990

  steve at groucho.ucar.edu (Steve Emmerson) writes:

> >Aside from getting lint(1) to shut up, why else would one write
> >	(void)printf(fmt);
> >rather than the simpler
> >	printf(fmt);

> Personally, this is one of the few places where I just refuse to use the
> cast.  I consider it pointless clutter.  If lint objects, tough.

I agree.  One of the nice things about using {PC,Flexe}Lint from Gimpel
Software is that you can selectively turn off/on specific checks for
specific functions (i.e. "Don't tell me when I ignore the return value
from printf.").  They put the fun back into running lint! :-)

If you would like more information, their number is (215)584-4261.  Tell
them I sent you and they'll treat you right ;-).
--
Mark Harrison             harrison at necssd.NEC.COM
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison