C obfuscator

David Loewenstern davel at cbnewsl.att.com
Sat Jun 2 04:39:43 AEST 1990

In article <4342 at muffin.cme.nist.gov>, libes at cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:
> In article <12573 at netcom.UUCP> ergo at netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
> >steve at taumet.COM (Stephen Clamage) writes:
> >>Well, "honi soit qui mal y pense", to you.  There are plenty of
> >>legitimate reasons for obfuscating code.  Why do you assume Mr Loewenstern
> >>has only evil intentions?  Surely you don't have to jump all over him
> >>until you find out.
> >
> >Such as?
>
> ... a useful way to distribute commercial products for multiple
> platforms.  Instead of dozens of binaries, just distribute one source
> and let the buyer compile.
>
> For example, page 18 of this month's C Users Journal has an
> advertisement for a lint that comes in "shrouded source form" that is
> K&R and ANSI compatible, and which compiles on UNIX, DOS, VMS, VM/MVS,
> and several other operating systems.  The vendor has covered 99% of
> the market with a single distribution.
>
> Not only is this clever, but certain #defines can be left unshrouded
> so that you have a little more control than if you just had binaries.
>
> Incidentally, this practice has been around for years.
>
> Don Libes          libes at cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

Thank you for sticking up for me, Don.  Since I don't normally read this
newsgroup, I did not realize the microfuror that I had started.

I can, however, add another use:  porting proprietary or otherwise
restricted source code to a test platform which is accessable by
outsiders.  So there. 8^)

By the way, Russ Fish <fish at kzin.utah.edu> has been kind enough to send
me his version of a C obfuscator.  It is somewhat restricted but
does satisfy my requirements, and I have used it successfully (thanks,
Russ).

David Loewenstern
<davel at whutt.att.com>
AT&T Bell Laboratories