FREE

Bjorn Engsig bengsig at oracle.nl
Mon Mar 5 22:44:11 AEST 1990

Article <1990Mar2.152601.8000 at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu> by ping at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu (Shiping Zhang) says:
|    Why is NOT calloc() made machine independent.
It's not a matter of machine dependence, but a matter of dependence of what
your program puts into the malloc'ed area.  And since only integers are
sure to have all zero-bit zero's, only cases where you only put integers
into the malloc'ed area can be cleared with all-zeros, i.e. allocated by
a calloc call.
|    Why is NOT malloc() made to initialize the contents automatically?
Why would you spend time on this, if you have to put data into the area anyway?
I believe this is by far the most common use.
Bjorn Engsig,	Domain:		bengsig at oracle.nl, bengsig at oracle.com
		Path:		uunet!mcsun!orcenl!bengsig