FREE

Kenneth L Moore yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Fri Mar 2 12:55:49 AEST 1990

In article <MEISSNER.90Mar1135840 at curley.osf.org> meissner at osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
>In article <1990Mar1.140829.17199 at druid.uucp> darcy at druid.uucp (D'Arcy
>J.M. Cain) writes:
>
>| In article <16055 at haddock.ima.isc.com> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>>calloc does what you want and even initialize the space to zeroes for you.
>
>The calloc() function is disrecommended.  Generally speaking, you should use
>malloc() and initialize the contents yourself.

There are instances where you want an uninitialized variable to be (nil)
and not zero as a flag.

This way you know you have a coding problem and can correct it.
Otherwise, you may start computing with an incorrect zero resulting in
an erroneous answer that might look reasonable.

--
I don't yell and I don't tell and I'm grateful as hell: Benny Hill