Inappropiate "BUGS" Sections

Richard Goerwitz goer at sophist.uucp
Sun Mar 11 04:25:32 AEST 1990

In article <5940019 at hpcupt1.HP.COM> jamiller at hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Miller) writes:
>>Not looking at documents from the customer perspective is one of
>>the marks of engineers.  We all need to improve in this area.
>
> ...the man pages as they exist will win out over "professional" (suit,
> tie, and useless) ones.

Sorry, SCO Xenix (and I'll bet SCO Unix as well) doesn't have a "bugs"
section in its manuals.  They call it "comments" or the like.  Xenix
is probably the most popular Unix variant ever to have hit the market.
It does seem a bit childish to, in effect, censor the word "bugs" from
manual pages.  The statement that the "suit and tie" straitjacket will
never win out, however, just isn't true.  The suits and ties invariably
get control of any situation they find it useful to control :-(.  It's
a sad by-product of our economic system.

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist at uchicago.bitnet
   goer at sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer