Currency Quotes

Bob Goudreau goudreau at larrybud.rtp.dg.com
Sun Mar 4 16:48:21 AEST 1990

In article <8224 at hubcap.clemson.edu>,
billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu at hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,
2847 ) writes:
> > From goudreau at larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau):
> >> your original complaint about
> >> units(1), which must have embarassed you horribly when you found out
> >> about floating (gasp!) currency exchange rates.
> >
> >    [I replied:]  Right.  My self-managed IRA had a total return of
> >    44.43% last year; how embarassing.  Maybe I should stop watching
> >    the Nightly Business Report so often, huh?
>
>    Oh, by the way, Bob, you'll be pleased to know that Reuters (which
>    supplies the Nightly Business Report with its market data, including
>    currency quotes) is delivering that market data using Ada software...
>    the introduction of Ada technology into Reuters was described at the
>    ACM SIGAda Tri-Ada '88 conference.  Sorry you missed it!!!

Say what?

I was talking about your original criticism of units(1) for the way
its manpage admitted that the program had no way of automatically
updating its exchange-rate information in real-time.  You came to
the embarassingly stupid conclusion that this limitation was somehow
a fault of the C programming language.  But go ahead and defend that
conclusion if you must....

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
USA