CDECL source code

Andy Newman andy at research.canon.oz.au
Fri Nov 23 17:20:51 AEST 1990

In article <12671 at ganymede.inmos.co.uk> conor at inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:

>Doesn't anybody else see the irony of needing a program to write
>C declaration syntax?
>
>And some people teach this language to beginners....

I agree that C isn't the language with which to teach programming but ...

It was a fairly complex type (pointer to an array of 10 pointers to functions
that return int) in a single declaration. Try the same thing in another language,
looks just as bad (and just as confusing for the beginner). The thing is don't
do so much in one declaration.

Now if it were Occam there wouldn't be a problem...you can't do it at all ;-)

Andrew Newman, Software Engineer.            | Net:   andy at research.canon.oz.au
Canon Information Systems Research Australia | Phone: +1 61 2 805 2914
P.O. Box 313 North Ryde, NSW, Australia 2113 | Fax:   +1 61 2 805 2929