Reading a port on the IBM/AT's DMA

Steve Hutzley hutzley at bigq.dec.com
Fri Nov 2 03:46:25 AEST 1990

    Does anyone have any code or ideas on how I can read and log the
    information written and read from the IBM-PC/AT's DMA port 0x0E.

    I have an ALLOY TIP40 tape drive that talks directly to the DMA port to
    control the drive, and would like to rewrite the interface for the
    program in C myself to add some useabillity to it. I particulrly don't
    care for they're interface (IMO).

    I had an idea of using a TSR to constantly monitor the port and log the
    info to a file (like give the TSR 60% of the time slices and the rest
    to the tape program.)

    I have dis-assembled the program itself, but being very weak in
    assembly language, I didn't get much out of it, other than it was that
    port on the DMA. I cant tell what codes they are sending to the drive
    to control it.

    Any Ideas?

Steve
    DEC, Hudson, Ma.