MORE/PAGING routine needed ...

Kim Christian Madsen kimcm at diku.dk
Mon Nov 12 22:13:35 AEST 1990

gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>I never understand requests like this.  A functional requirement is
>described, then the obvious solution is immediately rejected.  What
>exactly is the objection to system("more filename")?

Several reasons on the fly:

	1) spawns new processes, which can be a nuissance on slow systems!

	2) you don't have the ability to modify the behavior of the application
	   called to suit the needs of the calling application, e.g. disabling
	   shell-escapes for security reasons.

	3) a hidden request for knowledge of how the application in question
	   works, if you're a binary site.

						Kim Chr. Madsen