MORE/PAGING routine needed ...

Avery Colter avery at netcom.UUCP
Thu Nov 22 20:56:57 AEST 1990

salomon at ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Salomon) writes:

>MORE is quite a powerful pager, and it can take a lot of
>effort to duplicate all of its functionality.  If you don't duplicate
>its operations exactly you will just annoy the users.

That's partly why I haven't spoken sooner, and put my main more function
on the back-burner trying to get this regular expression search function
going. I know the Unix more command has a "/<pattern>" statement to
find the next line which contains the regular expression given.

I'm realizing what a complex set of questions is involved in matching
like this. It looks like there's going to be recursion somewhere in there
no matter how I slice it. Not bad for a taste of real-world programming.
Any little assignment in my FORTRAN class was peanuts compared to this
thing I've taken on.

It's re-inventing the wheel I'm sure. But to try making sense of the
code one person has mailed me of <regexp.h> seems like it will take
as much work as just figuring it out on my own.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: