Terminal Type/Productivity correlation (re:was hardcopy/productivity)

Shankar Unni shankar at hpclscu.HP.COM
Fri Nov 30 13:33:38 AEST 1990

> I HATE laserjet printouts, and I have a lot of C code > 80 chars/line.
>
> But I work in an office environment...  is there such a thing as
> 132-column fan-fold, quiet, laserjet printing?  I also hate having to
> staple my papers 8-(

Most laserjets have an "lp" font, so the following set of escape sequences
(which you can make your spooler prefix to the file) should do the trick
(not all of these may be necessary, but specifying all of them makes for
less doubt about what you get out, in case your LaserJet has the lp font in
different sizes):

  \033(s0T	# select lp font
  \033&l1O	# select landscape
  \033(s16.66H	# 16.66 horizontal pitch
  \033(s8.5V	# 8.5 point size
  \033&l66F	# 66 lines per page
  \033&l5.6C	# vertical motion index 5.6
  \033&a4L	# left margin 4
  \033&a9999M	# huge right margin
  \033&l2E	# top margin 2

(The "\033" is an ESCAPE character (octal 033)).

Seems like a lot, doesn't it? There's tons of stuff you can do with escape
sequences in a LaserJet - the manual should have details of all this stuff.
-----
Shankar Unni                                   E-Mail:
Hewlett-Packard California Language Lab.     Internet: shankar at hpda.hp.com
Phone : (408) 447-5797                           UUCP: ...!hplabs!hpda!shankar