DIGITALIZED SOUND ON PC?

Joe Herman dzoey at terminus.umd.edu
Wed Nov 21 02:12:25 AEST 1990

In article <11516 at j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou at brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes:

>   I want to output some digitalized sound signal to the speaker. The key-
>point I figured out is to control the volume of the speaker. While you
>can use "sound" to control frequency, Turbo does not provide direct access
>to the speaker. I searched throughout my DOS manual and could not find
>a interrupt for speaker. Does anybody have any clue on how to access speaker?

There is an excellent paper by David Chappell of NCSU on how to do
this for PCs.  There was a posting about it in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware or comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware a couple of days
ago.  It's worth reading.  He uses pulse width modulation instead of
pulse amplitude modulation.  I've played the demo and it's pretty
impressive considering the hardware.

			Joe Herman
			U. of Md.

dzoey at terminus.umd.edu

--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."