DIGITALIZED SOUND ON PC?

David Conrad dave at tygra.ddmi.com
Tue Nov 20 21:49:28 AEST 1990

In article <11516 at j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou at brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou) writes:
)
)   I want to output some digitalized sound signal to the speaker. The key-
)point I figured out is to control the volume of the speaker. While you
)can use "sound" to control frequency, Turbo does not provide direct access
)to the speaker. I searched throughout my DOS manual and could not find
)a interrupt for speaker. Does anybody have any clue on how to access speaker?

The IBM PC/PS/2's speaker does not have a volume control.  The speaker
is driven by channel 2 of the system timer.  Once channel 2 has been
programmed for the desired frequency two bits in a control I/O port are
used to indicate whether the speaker is on or off.  There is no need to
program the speaker directly as Turbo C's sound() and nosound() functions
provide complete access to it, however if more specific info is desired
follow this up in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware as this issue is not related
to C.
--
David R. Conrad
dave at tygra.ddmi.com
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Computer Conferencing and File Archive  =
-  1-313-343-0800, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -