C to occam translator

Andreas Kaiser kaiser at ananke.stgt.sub.org
Tue Sep 25 17:56:26 AEST 1990

In a message of <Sep 24 03:02>, Roberto Togneri (robert%zeus at swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au
) writes:
 RT>         We are currenlt starting to use the Transputer Development System
 RT> and feel that occam has more to offer than parallel C. However this means

I wrote a cross compiler for parallel C (running on a PC) at the university of
Stuttgart.

The point is: I do not know about the status of the basis of this work, Johnsons
Portable-C-Compiler for the PDP-11. Until I know more, I cannot say whether it
is available or not.

 RT> that we will have to rewrite our algorithms from C to occam. This is ok for

 RT> the transputer/parallel specific stuff but given the
 RT> existence of fortran to C and pascal to C translator does anybody know of
 RT> a C to occam or even a Pascal to occam translator?

This is *impossible*. OCCAM does not allow neither recursion nor dynamic memory
management (heap) nor pointer types not structure/union types.

 RT> What is the prevailing attitude to transputers and occam? One reason we are
 RT> using occam is that it has the ALT operation which parallel C doesn't
 RT> (appear) to have. Any help appreciated.

PAR, ALT, i/o and timer operations are included.

If you are interested, address your mail to

        homeis at azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de

                Gruss, Andreas