C preprocessing

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Sat Sep 22 10:22:26 AEST 1990

In article <59770 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bomgard at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Tim Bomgardner) writes:
>Wouldn't it be nice, if ... the compiler would do what I meant [by
>interpreting the indentation] instead of what I said?

I personally like the idea, but it's not C (nor any other language I use,
though I understand Occam has it).  So, being realistic, let's say instead:

Wouldn't it be nice if the compiler (or some related tool) would provide
(optional!) warnings for possibly misindented code?

Things to worry about: (a) whitespace caused by macro expansion; (b) how to
count tabs vs. spaces; (c) accepting all plausible personal indentation styles
(or making it user-configurable).

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at kelp.ima.isc.com or ima!kelp!karl), The Walking Lint