C preprocessing

Tim Bomgardner bomgard at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Sat Sep 22 04:07:20 AEST 1990

This is a philosophical/religious/semi-rhetorical question.  Wouldn't it
be nice, if in the following code the compiler would do what I meant
instead of what I said?  If I (and I'm sure everyone reading this) can
see exactly what is wanted, why can't a compiler?  Code is written two-
dimensionally--it has visual structure (at least mine does)--so why does
it have to processed as a one-dimensional string of tokens?  My personal
preprocessor (when I get around to writing it) will know exactly what to
do with this:

    if (bool_expression)
        do_something();
        do_something_else();
        if (another_bool_expression)
            do_anything();
    else
        do_this_when_bool_expression_is_false();