The Sins of K&R

Jeffrey T. Hutzelman jh4o+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 28 14:52:14 AEST 1990

volpe at underdog.crd.ge.com (Christopher R Volpe) writes

> Ok, how about requiring the programmer to make it explicit when
> he/shewants it to fall through, rather than making that the default?
> Like so:
>
>switch(ch)
>     {
>     case 'a':
>        do_a();
>        continue;
>     case 'b':
>        do_a_or_b();
>     }

No!!!  I LIKE being able to do the following:

void some_func(void)
{
while(1) {  /* because people don't seem to like for(;;) */
   /* something to get a key - that's machine specific */
   switch (key)
      {
      case '1':
         action_1();
         break;
      case '2':
         action_2();
         break;
      case 'q':
         return;
      default:
         putc('\007'); /* BEEP */
         continue; /* SKIP the stuff after the swicth */
      }
   /* now, do some things to be done ONLY if a selection was made,
      like redrawing the menu after a function has been performed */
   }
}
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11