UNIX commands in C

Gary Weimer 253-7796 weimer at garden.ssd.kodak.com
Tue Apr 30 00:28:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr28.153127.24926 at jack.sns.com> you write:

|>     I have been programming C for a while on IBM compats. using Turbo-C
|> from Borland. Now I would like to move up to programing C in the UNIX
|> enviroment. I know how to use all the regular C commands but I would like
|> to know how to use UNIX commands from within a C program. For example
|> to have the option to show who is online from within a program. I dont
|> want this done with a shell escape I want it to be an potion like from a
|> menu/list.

Since I don't see any other posts, I'll post and maybe save you some
mail.

The easiest thing to do is use system(3). Since you're new to UNIX, this
means the system command in section 3 of the man pages. If you want to
see the man page entry for this, type 'man 3 system' (without the
quotes).

You might also want to look at fork(2V) (use 'man 2 fork', not 'man 2V fork')
and execl(3V).

weimer at ssd.kodak.com ( Gary Weimer )