C common practice. (was: low level optimization)

Michael Stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sun Apr 28 19:16:35 AEST 1991

In an article, jlg at cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>On the contrary.  Putting each C procedure into a separate file _is_
>common practice.  It is promoted as "good" style by C gurus.  Skilled
>C programmers recommend it - they don't avoid it or condemn it.

Okay, I'll throw in my two pence.  As a general rule, splitting up
source into a gaggle of files is nauseating -- however, I have found
it to be useful when building a library.  Considering that I am using
a poor 'ol RT with it's brain-damaged C compiler, it is not in my
best interest to have it wade (slowly) through a large source file.
At best, it just takes a long time; at worst, it will choke and die.

Besides, this is all rather aesthetic; if a ton o' files that suck up half
the inodes on your machine give you a cheap thrill, why deny yourself?

Gotta love those Makefiles!

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike